Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Adam

Well, our trip is winding down. Everyone always says this kind of stuff flies by and Guatemala has been true to form. Things have been pretty busy over the last couple of days. We hit the last of the houses we could yesterday before the group spend the evening with Luis, eating dinner and worshiping with the church that meets at his house. I, unfortunately, had a paper I had to tend to and I couldn’t be with them. It was a great time though and, thanks to Adam, Daniel, and a guitar, everyone was thoroughly entertained. Oh, and I got my paper in too, with 5 minutes to spare.

Today we went around the city. We visited the Jade Factory, a wood working shop, and the market in Antigua and had some good ole fashioned McDonald’s Hamburgers for lunch.

The first thing I wanna do when I get home? Eat Mexican. Short of some spicy Doritos we haven’t really had any authentic Latin cuisine… unless you count the black bean pizza from Dominoes, but I don’t.
We’ll be leaving here tomorrow around 9 o’clock in the A.M. and landing in Birmingham around 8 P.M. Thank you all for your thoughts and especially your prayers. Grace and peace.

- Doug

p.s. Just to brighten up your day. Since today commemorates Adam's 22th year of not dying, I wanted to do something special for him. In preparation for our day at the market, Adam thought it would be a good idea to learn the phrase "Today is my birthday. Give me the deal!" Our translator scribbled some Spanish on the back of a business card Adam had and helped him learn all the intricacies and inflections. We all watch him practice it over and over, getting it just right. It was great. Cause what he didn't realize is that when he wasn't listening, I told the translator to write "Today is my birthday. Give me a hug!"

We were all encouraging him, "say it like you mean it, like you really want it." Sure enough, as he was haggling for a new poncho, the time had come to break out that new Spanish phrase from its resting place in that freshly made wrinkle on Adam brain. The shop owner looked confused, but, either fearing the loss of a sale or just in the name of good fun, honored Adam's request. Considering the shop owner was a dude, I'm sure it the highlight of Adam's birthday abroad.

Que ganga!

No comments: